Saturday, April 26, 2008

The ending of Pi

Yeah I know, rapid fire...

I do have another thing to talk about though. I was talking to my roommate about Pi and he had some interesting thoughts about the ending. At the end when Max is on the bench, he's looking up at the sun again. It's like he wants to get his insights back and he's still thinking about his quest for understanding. That might suggest that it wasn't just the math that was leading him to his insanity, but something more 'fundamental' inside him. I'm not exactly sure what else to say about this. Perhaps it kind of illustrates the fact that this quest for understanding is fundamental to people and independent of whatever form it takes, be it mathematical or religious in the case of the Jews in the film.

2 comments:

Chris K. said...

I hadn't thought about the significance of Max staring at the sun again at the end. I think I agree that it shows that he is still searching for fundamental truth, even if it isn't mathematical in nature.

Mike said...

I hadn't thought about the ending much either. I remember we discussed that he may have killed himself, but then little girl with the calculator was in the scene too. I don't really know what to make of that, but it was just something I had mentally noted in our discussion.