Monday, April 28, 2008

Numb3rs

Does anyone watch Numb3rs? I really enjoy it, and yes, I am so cool that I watch it on Friday nights when it originally airs. I think my favorite part of the show, aside from guest appearances from Bill Nye the Science Guy, is the fact that the mathematicians and scientists in the show are mentally stable! They are slightly nerdy and a little socially awkward, but definitely not crazy. As we have seen in class, this is a rarity, and it’s a nice change to see relatively normal mathematicians in pop culture. The characters also solve crimes and do neat experiments which add to their “cool” factor. Not all of the math done on the show is entirely accurate, but I appreciate the effort and am willing to overlook the flaws. I hope everyone has a great summer, and maybe you will watch Numb3rs because it’s awesome!

3 comments:

Kyle Caffey said...

I agree. I enjoy the show despite the inaccuracies.

jmartinez said...

Hmm, I'll check it out. Is it like Without a Trace or CSI?

Chris K. said...

Psh, doesn't actually doing stuff with math make you, like, an applied mathematician? Give me a show about pure math!

"Does P=NP? Tune in next week for the exciting conclusion!"