Thursday, February 21, 2008

An argument for a failing grade

I may get in trouble for this, but did anyone else think it was funny that the most random thing that J. Jones could think to compare the story to was season six of American Idol? It was as if we all got a glimpse into his mind and there, staring back at us was... season six of American Idol.
But on to Vas. As far as I can tell, one goal of this book is to make readers think about eugenics in a different way. It seems that they first talk about the eugenics theories of the past in a grimy and barbaric sounding way, and then pepper in some examples of these theories in practice today, i.e. the Miss America Pageant. It certainly is a good way to bring these ideas to light. I find myself feeling quite disturbed while reading pieces of this book. It’s funny how there is a bit of a pro-life, anti science sense to this book. But on the same hand it seems to be written from a leftist point of view, which is by far and away pro-science and pro-choice.
Another Funny thing about the book. I told my girlfriend that I had to read 100 pages last evening and she was like “Jesus!!” And I had to be like , “No, it’s not that bad!”

2 comments:

Brian M said...

I definitely agree that this book tries to show the evolution of eugenics and where we might be headed with it if we don't buck the trend. The earlier stages of eugenics dealt with sterilizations while the more recent stages have dealt with genetic manipulation and a 'plastic fantastic' society. It's kind of scary to see how eugenics has evolved in such a short amount of time.

John Jones said...

It’s almost as if you are implying that American Idol is somehow not worthy of our attention. :)