Friday, February 15, 2008

writing and "reading"

Discussions in class this week were not really what I would consider to be "blog generating". I'm just about ready to never talk about, think about, or look at the book We ever again. Unfortunately, I still have this weekend to pour over it once more. I really am looking forward to writing about Vas though. I've never done a close reading analysis paper before and Vas seems like the perfect candidate for a first run. I really enjoy this book... but that's not an original thought. I was trying to think of the modern day equivalent to the eugenics craze of the past. I know that anthropology and genetics are the "tools" of eugenics, but they somehow seem far less sinister. This then got me thinking about what it is about the last 40 years that have reversed the trend of eugenics in western civilization. Was it the reaction to the holocaust? Was it the liberal revolution of the 60's and 70's? Or is it just a byproduct of our current mini-enlightenment called the information age. Is it possible that homogeny has transcended race and class and that we are all judged more by our intellect than from where we come? Is it possible that this blog post is just really boring?

No comments: